10 Gun Battery Seawall Repairs
Notification of 10 Gun Battery Seawall Storm Repair Works, Old Portsmouth
Portsmouth City Council are undertaking storm repair works to a section of 10 Gun Battery seawall and the Caponier at Long Curtain Moat which sustained damage following Storm Eunice in February 2022.
Essential repairs are required to remedy damage sustained to these Scheduled Ancient Monuments ahead of the 2022-23 storm season.
Work commenced on Monday 20th June 2022 and due to the location of the damage, the main repairs can only go ahead at low tide. Working around the tides, these will take place on:
|28th June||12:30 - 21:30|
|29th June||12:30 - 21:30|
|30th June||12:30 - 21:30|
|1st July||04:30 - 14:00|
|4th July||05:00 - 15:30|
|5th July||05:30 - 16:00|
|6th July||06:00 - 16:30|
We apologise for any disruption this work may cause. Any noisy activity will be restricted between the working hours of 7am-7pm. Please take care if you are visiting the area.
Repairs include both temporary and permanent works as detailed below;
- A compound will be established on top of Saluting Platform to facilitate welfare, parking and storage of materials, equipment and waste throughout the construction period.
- Heras fencing will be erected around the compound and working areas to provide a safe working environment for both the contractor and the public.
- The Millennium promenade between Victoria Pier and Saluting Platform will be restricted in width but will remain open throughout the duration of the works.
- Scaffolding will be installed along the top of 10 Gun Battery seawall to enable safe access to the repair area.
- Access to Long Curtain Moat has been agreed with the Southsea Coastal Scheme.
- Realignment and replacement of blockwork, repointing of mortar and grouting of voids where present along 10 Gun Battery seawall.
- Replacement of blockwork and repointing of mortar at Long Curtain Moat Caponier.
All repair methods have been agreed with Historic England.
Damage to the 10 Gun Battery seawall
Loose stonework at Long Curtain Moat
Missing stone at Long Curtain Moat
Should you have any questions relating to these works, please contact email@example.com