Langstone Coastal Defence Scheme Update - Sept 2021
Ground Investigation (GI) works are scheduled to take place in Langstone week commencing Monday 13th September 2021, in conjunction with the Langstone Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management (FCERM) Scheme. Works will be undertaken by Structural Soils Ltd.
These works will last for approximately 3-4 weeks and will involve undertaking a series of boreholes and trial pits along the Langstone frontage to obtain further detail on the ground conditions, building upon previous investigations conducted in 2018. The samples will be analysed and will inform the detailed design currently being undertaken by Havant Borough Council for sea defences along the Langstone frontage.
The works involved in the GI survey will include the setting up and drilling of cable percussive boreholes, dynamic sampling, machine, and hand dug trial pitting.
This GI comprises of work on both the land behind the defences (terrestrial land) and on the foreshore in front of the existing defences (intertidal land).
Prior to the GI works, the Contractor will be given an induction on site to ensure that they are made aware of the local conditions and constraints and subsequent best practice for working within a residential area
During the planned works:
- Only the necessary plant will be in operation around the frontage.
- A site compound will be set up in the corner of the car park of The Ship Inn.
- A Vegetation Clearance will occur prior to the specific GI methods to allow for equipment to cross areas of potential reptile habitat. A qualified and experienced ecologist will be present throughout these works to determine that only the necessary areas of vegetation in the protected habitat are being removed.
- The localised work areas and site compound will be fenced off throughout the duration of the works.
- There may be localised impacts on access to the foreshore and at times there may be a reduction in the width of the public footpath. No footpaths will be closed throughout the works.
- We ask that residents and visitors remain vigilant when using the footpath and travelling around the area when plants and materials are being delivered to the site and used.
The GI works are minimal in terms of extent and duration and have been carefully planned in terms of access, timings, and environmental considerations. Works are being undertaken outside of the recognised overwintering bird period and ecological and archaeological watching briefs will be present throughout. All the necessary licences and consents have been obtained to undertake these works. We have consulted with the Marine Management Organisation (MMO), the Crown Estate, Natural England, Historic England, Langstone Harbour, Chichester Harbour, Hampshire County Council and Private Landowners and Businesses
We will keep the community updated throughout the works, should there be any changes. We thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Should you have any additional questions relating to the Ground Investigation works, please contact the Langstone Project Team by emailing email@example.com.